Under the guidance of Prof. Claudio Manfredotti, the Solid State Physics group started its activity in the early 1980s in the field of amorphous (a-Si:H) and crystalline (e.g. Si, CdTe) semiconductor materials, mainly for the fabrication of solar cells and ionization radiation detectors. In the course of these three decades, the group has gradually extended its field of interest to the study of micro/nano-structured materials and devices and to the development of new experimental techniques for the characterization and modification of advanced materials and/or art objects. Now, the group is working on the following main research topics:
- Semiconductor materials and basic devices: compositional, structural and functional characterization by means of MeV Ion Beam techniques
- The physics of diamond: characterization, and selective modification at the nano/micro scale; applications in bio-sensing and quantum optics
- Production and characterisation of high and medium critical temperature superconducting materials
- Nanostructured materials
- Physics applied to cultural heritage
- Bioinspired hierarchical materials
24/08/2016 - Recent study by group members on mechanical metamaterials as seismic shields is highlighted in La Stampa/Origami, Latest Science Web News, phys.org and ScienceDaily websites, and on spider-web inspired metamaterials on phys.org.
03/08/2016 - The "Sergio Panizza" prize, devoted to young researchers with distinguished contributions in Optoelectronics and Photonics will be awarded to Dr. Jacopo Forneris for "his experimental innovative contributions to optoelectronics and photonics based on diamond". Dr. Jacopo Forneris will be awarded at the 102° Congress of the Italian Physics Society in Padova, next september 26th, 2016.
01/01/2016 - The two-years project "Electrically controlled diamond-based single-photon sources" starts under the coordination of Jacopo Forneris with a budget of 120,000 € funded by the 5th National Commission of the National Institute of Nuclear Physics.
- C. Czelusniak, L. Palla, M. Massi, L. Carraresi, L. Giuntini, A. Re, A. Lo Giudice, G. Pratesi, A. Mazzinghi, C. Ruberto, L. Castelli, M.E. Fedi, L. Liccioli, A. Gueli, P.A. Mandò, F. Taccetti, "Preliminary results on time-resolved ion beam induced luminescence applied to the provenance study of lapis lazuli", Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research B 371 (2016) 336-339
- O Kizilaslan, M Truccato, Y Simsek, M A Aksan, Y Koval, P Müller, "Interlayer tunneling spectroscopy of mixedphase BSCCO superconducting whiskers", Supercond. Sci. Technol. 29 (2016) 065013
- M.G. Gentile, J.A. Muñoz-Tabares, A. Chiodoni, C. Sgorlon, I. Para, R. Carta, G. Richieri, K. Bejtka, L. Merlin, E. Vittone, "Marbled texture of sputtered Al/Si alloy thin film on Si", Thin Solid Films 612 (2016) 165–171
- F. Picollo, A. Battiato, E. Bernardi, A. Marcantoni, A. Pasquarelli, E. Carbone, P. Olivero, V. Carabelli, "Microelectrode arrays of diamond-insulated graphitic channels for real time detection of exocytotic events from cultured chromaffin cells and slices of adrenal glands", Analytical Chemistry 88, 7493-7499 (2016)
- S. Signetti , F. Bosia , N. M. Pugno, "Computational modeling of the mechanics of hierarchical materials", MRS Bulletin 41 (2016) 694-699